top of page
What is general surgery?
General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal contents including esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, appendix and bile ducts, and often the thyroid gland. It also includes hernia surgery, proctology and soft tissue surgery.
List of general surgery procedures usually includes:
• Hernia surgery
• Soft tissue surgery
• Abdominal surgery
• Proctology and coloproctology
• Thyroid gland surgery
• Breast Surgery (including biopsy, lumpectomy needle localization, auxillary node dissection, and mastectomy)
• Hemorrhoidectomy, fissurectomy, and istulectomy
• Laparoscopic surgery (a minimally invasive surgery involving the gallbladder, hernias, appendectomy, lysis of adhesions, colon resection, laparoscopic fundoplication, liver biopsy, and diagnostic procedures)
• Vein surgery
• Surgery of the pancreas, liver, spleen, stomach, small and large bowel, and the rectum
• Thyroid and Parathyroid surgery.
• Transplant surgery
bottom of page